Friday, November 19, 2010

Autumn Card

Hold the presses....Holly actually made a few autumn cards! Yes, I was home alone on Saturday and decided to put some of this beautiful Tim Coffey paper from K & Company to good use. I saw some of this paper on clearance at Joann's Tuesday and was tempted to buy more of it! Really, Holly, you already have three tablets of it....the old "more is better" thinking.

As I usually do, I used some of my favorite things to create this festive fall greeting. And being a new grandmother, I had to include a photo of our new little pumpkin as he is one of the many things for which I am thankful this year. Jason will groan when he sees the photo in the "bubble suit" and little cap! He hates when I play dress up with his little baby!

The photo above is the one I used to create the Kaleidoscope Creations previously posted.


The beautiful paper was my inspiration as well as the beautiful maple leaf stamp from Inkadinkado. I also had to try out the pumpkin flourish chain from EK Success. Rather than cutting a simple chain, I punched twice and then used the edges to create a border for an A2 card. This made it much easier to attach to the card. As well as adhesive (the two way glue from Zig works great for this), I added a couple of eyelets at the top notches of the border.

I always try to figure out how I can get the most cards out of my paper, so when the card front was a little short for an A2 card (the darker leaf paper was cut in pieces four inches tall, so I could get six from a 12 by 12 sheet), I used that border around the chain as well as a strip of satin ribbon to finish the edge. The satin ribbon along the edge gives a dressy look as you pull it out of the envelope.

I first tried the image with watercolor crayons but decided I liked all the detail I got using Inkadinkado pigment ink. I began with a cream card stock card, layered the leaf paper (5.5 by 4inches) over that card. I used a Spellbinders (Labels eleven) die to cut the opening for the image. Stamped the leaf through the die cut opening. Now I have all these wonderful leaf die cuts to use on something else (and the paper is two sided).

Inside, I used a stamp from Serendipity and another Inkadinkado image (pumpkin) on the envelope. And of course, I can't just write the addresses normally.....hmmm, wonder why I don't get cards made very often these days! With all that is going on in my life right now, I impressed myself that these are done! It was fun to do some creating just because I wanted to for a change!

Next destination, Callaway Gardens, where I hope to get some great fall shots to share!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jan Castle said...

A quick thank you for all the directions for making the lovely fall card! Hope to get the pumpkin punch on sale...see, always thinkin'...not that I don't own almost every punch out there - LOL! Cold, overcast, and rain every now and then here in Salem today...but a beautiful red maple that I can see out my studio window! Can't wait to see your pics from your C. Gardens trip!
Jan Castle

Sheri said...

Wow Holly, another blog I see I'm going to have to follow. Beautiful cards and I'm loving the Kaleidoscope collection! Of course, all of that pales in comparison to your beautiful new grandson!! Oh my goodness! What a precious little guy. I can see a LOT of scrapping and knitting in your future. Nice to meet you too. Looking forward to working with you.

JANLYNN said...

A really beautiful fall thankful card and oh how much special you have to be thankful for. As for your son-in-law not likeing the bubble suit here's what i told mine. When I am with the boys (I now have 2 grandboys) they will wear what I get for them. He likes polos and such and thinks the bubble suits look girly. I told him this is what doctor and lawyer's kids wear and they are going to wear them. Oh, looking forward to the garden pictures too.

Blissmade Designs said...

Beautiful fall cards! Your stamping looks great!

Joyce across the Pond said...

Since I started reading your blog ages ago - this is the first time I've seen a card....a card....a beautiful card too! Love the card and love your envelope so much...I love decorated envelopes and I do them in calligraphy which folk love to get as a surprise.
The little man is growing! Lovely photos, as usual, that goes without saying!