Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Friend for all seasons...

One of my very favorite techniques is to color directly on a rubber stamp with a watercolor crayon (aquarelle), spritz it and then make an impression. The same technique is often done with waterbased markers. With copic markers becoming so popular, there has been discussion on if you could achieve the same look with Copics and spritzing with alcohol. The ink dries so quickly, that you must have the alcohol to bring the color back. Some were concerned with any effects the alcohol might have on the stamps. I say they are tools, and not jewels, so it doesn't concern me. I tried spritzing the paper and stamping the ink covered stamp on the alcohol spritzed paper, but that didn't work too well. Anyway, the images under the vellum were done with Copics colored on the stamp and then the stamp was spritzed with alcohol and the impression made. I don't care for it quite as much as I do the watercolor crayons, but I can live with it.

Another thing to do that is really cool, however is to color the inside of a die with the Copics. I happen to be using Spellbinders die that have stamps to match. I spritzed the paper that I was using for the diecut with alcohol before sending it through the Wizard with the Copic colored die and when it comes out, you have brighter color where the die actually was and a more muted coloring on the rest of the diecut.

The verse is from Rubbernecker Stamps and I used a Martha Stewart border punch along the bottom.

Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

The Country Rose said...

Wow oh Wow!!!! This is so, so, so beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing how you did this! Love your blog by the way :).

Shirley said...

Wow, Holly want great tips on techniques and your card is sensational. TFS

Jenny Gropp said...

Interesting tips -- I will try the color the die...
I love that "tools, not jewels" I feel the same!
I had played a bit with my copics and stamps--not having anything worthy of a card in the end!