Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dry Falls

Dry Falls is called that as you can walk behind the falls and stay dry. I posted photos last year with the green moss on the rocks. Those rocks are now covered in ice.
Above is Joyce standing on the walkway that was completely covered with a thick sheet of ice. She ventured further than I would. Luckily, they finished an overlook near the road last year as we were not going down to the falls. We did run into a man that actually made it down there and had photos he took. We aren't sure how he made it unless he had metal spikes on his shoes. Joyce fell on the Wall of China in November when there was ice and snow on it, so she wanted to be careful also.
You can see the fence that goes along the edge of the falls where you normally can walk.

The photo is looking down the stream beyond the falls. Once I visited this falls after a hurrican had stalled out over the area and there was so much water and the resulting mist that you could catch a rainbow up over the stream.
I failed to take my lens hood with me when I left the car, so I had a problem with sun flare where you get the little spots of light in the photo. You can see what I am talking about on the third photo at the top of the falls. We are making note of all the things we need to learn to do and to remember for our big trip!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Peggy Maier said...

Beautiful place... even in winter!

Jan Castle said...

Winter adds a wonderful dimension to the area...love the pictures!
Jan