Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In a butterfly sort of mood





I love visiting other people's blogs and one of my favorites is Toni Kelly's Spatterings. She, like me, enjoys photography, watercolor and calligraphy (only she is REALLY good at it!). She designs die for Spellbinders and that is how we met. She came to the 2005 CHA show in Atlanta and I met her at the airport. She has a post of butterflies that will make you want to go out and commune with nature! She has the name of the butterflies with her video, which is great. I need to learn specific butterflies so I color them correctly.



Here are a couple of cards I made using Spellbinders Wizard and die and a Serendipity stamp. Unfortunately, the die of the butterfly on the flower is discontinued...it was one of my favorites. I think people just didn't know how to color the detail. For detail die like that, I cut it out of watercolor paper and then paint with watercolor or in this case a powdered pigment that is metallic. For the raised details I use metallic rubons from CrafT.



The garden is the butterfly garden at the cabin and I included a couple of shots I took of butterflies at the cabin. I placed every stepping stone around the garden and planted moss to be a carpet....I dared my Dad to come anywhere near with grass seed again! The hummingbirds love the hosta when they are blooming.



I still have a lot of photos of our trip to the west, but must unpack first!!

7 comments:

Holly's Hobbies said...

Actually, Toni's blog is called "A Spattering"...rather than Spatterings. Spatterings is what I would do (messy)! Sorry for that mistake on my part, but the link will get you to the right spot!
Now if I could just learn how to use that edit tool...
Holly

Unknown said...

Holly you make me laugh! Thank you so much for the mention and link. We really do need to get together someday.

Your butterfly garden is beautiful. Mine right now is fading fast.

Jenny Gropp said...

OHHH. I love the ribbon on the rust card--- gonna remember that! Great cards Holly!

Unknown said...

Holly, I love your butterfly garden! It looks like such a peaceful place. Cards aren't too shabby either:)

Ida said...

Very lovely cards. Great details like the embossing and that gorgeous ribbon make these extra special. Love your butterfly photos too.

Shirley said...

Gorgeous pictures and gorgeous cards. Thanks for sharing both!

Cheryl Walker said...

Love all the butterflies, they are sooo pretty!!! And your garden is beautiful, so are your cards!!!!

Cheryl