Sunday, June 14, 2009

A walk around the lake

My friend, Lynne, from Florida was up at her mountain home this week, just a short walk from our cabin, so I made a quick trip to see her before I take off for Alaska. We always have a good time cooking and sharing stories. We made empanadas and a new cake recipe Thursday.
Before I came home Friday I made a walk around the lake. Black Rock Mountain State Park is Georgia's Highest Park (in elevation). There is also a lake, fed by all the mountain streams that come down the hills. There is a very nice walk around the lake that is less than a mile and it is always enjoyable. I am also trying to get used to my new camera, so I got out there very early Friday morning and had the lake to myself.
Well, I did share the lake with this family of geese. Usually there are a lot there, but I only saw this one family today.

The mountains are filled with mountain laurel and they are on the decline from their blooming season, but they are still very pretty. You can see them in the woods in the background. The cabin backs up to the state park so there are beautiful woods behind us. In the evening it sound like a symphony with all the birds singing. The only thing that worries me is when I hear the dogs barking as I am almost sure they are barking at bears. I see bear trails all the time. I try to be inside when it gets dark!

By the time this goes up on my blog, I should be on the cruise ship off the coast of SE Alaska, so hopefully I will get a lot of photos to share! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Joyce across the Pond said...

Great photos as usual...just love the little path around the lake...we have one near here too....little paths lead you on and on...love them. Would you share your recipe for empanadas? We had them in Chile and loved them but no idea how to make them!! Hope you have a wonderful vacation...that would defintely be on our wish list but after two very expensive holidays in the last 2 years we must rein in a bit. Kind regards and safe journeying. Joyce in Northern Ireland

Jan Castle said...

Hi Holly...know you are enjoying your cruise, even as we are enjoying your great photos! Looking forward to seeing your pics of Alaska.
Jan Castle

Heidi Blankenship said...

Hi Holly! Great pictures! I hope you have fun with your new camera and I can't wait to catch up with you when you get back from the cruise! I hope you have an Amazing time!! Can't wait to see all the pictures!

Laura Lipe, Pisgah Forest, NC said...

Love your pictures. It's been a beautiful spring here in the NC mountains, but is HOT now! Our rhodendrons have started blooming-early this year. Hope you enjoy that cruise!!