Friday, June 27, 2008

Make mine black and white!




While I do love color, I also love photos done in black and white. Here are a couple more from Amelia Island and a tree that was in Charleston. I think that is one of the things I love the most about digital photography is that you can make it b&w, sepia, a tint, whatever. I feel that once you remove the distraction of the color, you can really see the "bones" of the tree or whatever the subject happens to be. On the Charleston tree, for example, you can see the texture of the ferns in the foreground and the shadows on the building behind the tree.
I also love spot color. That is what I did with the sunrise. I also love to do it with a bride and her bouquet.
Look around you today and look for things that would make great b & w photos. One warning, however, some people associate b&w photos with being old. I was at the Apple store taking a class in Memphis and when the guy (young guy...oh, I did say it was Apple, right?) saw my wedding photos in b&w, he asked, did you get married in the sixties? He associated b&w photos with that decade. I corrected him and told him that actually you saw more b&w film in the 50's and before, but I was married in 1976. He was embarrassed when he realized how old that would have made me!

4 comments:

Heidi Blankenship said...

Holly, these photos are absolutely breathtaking!!! You need to send them into a magazine or photo contest or SOMETHING!!! You are brilliant with your camera!! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL!!! TFS!!!

Wendy Weixler said...

I wanna be you when I grow up! No, really, I DO!! Everything you touch turns into a masterpiece!! You are AMAZING!!

Anonymous said...

Your photo's are just beautiful....I do believe that many things are best explored in black and white....color film often seems to take away the subtlety of the scene or the object.

Anonymous said...

love the photo pretty neat